Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Welcome to Washington (Bent rims and flat tires)

Day 40
We spent another day with Paula in Sandpoint which was nice. We went to the beach on lake Pend O'reille and did some internet surfing at home. We finally got to meet Paula and her friend Scott when they got back from their hiking trip. Later Paula let us borrow a couple of kayaks and we went out on the lake, unfortunately they weren't made for lake use so we had quite a bit of difficulty trying to maneuver them about. Anywho, we went to a get together for Paula's staff where Manda and I went undefeated playing ladder ball (testicle toss, whatever you want to call it). And then we got to meet her kids! They were all really fun and I'm glad that we got to meet all of them. Thanks again Paula for all that you did for us!

Day 41
Manda found out that she could get a ride to Spokane because Paula's intern Brooke was driving her Mom to the airport. So I decided to still bike down there(I've got to at least try to bike this whole trip) and we both had a pleasant day apart from each other for the first time in a long time. I made pretty good time, but the traffic on route 2 outside of spokane was nasty and things got worse as I got closer but I made it downtown and ate a huge veggie sandwich at the deli manda was at.
Later we went to a bike shop here to get my wheel checked out (I bent the rim way back in Williston, ND). There wasn't really anything they could do about it and I'd have to replace it eventually, so the mechanic cut me a deal on some nice rims that were almost new that he had bought for quite cheap before. So currently my bike is in the shop getting a set of new rims! We still had to get to Bob and Barb's house, so I got them to lend me a crappy bike to get there. Anyway I got about a mile away and Manda apparently thought some kids threw firecrackers at me, but really I just blew out the rear tire and had to walk the rest of the way. Anyway me later that night when I was asleep Kevin who was fixing my bike called my and told me about what he did and that he was really drunk and kind of babbled on for a while and then i realized it was almost 2 in the morning.

Bob and Barb and their family are really great. They all went on a cross country trip earlier this year, so we've been sharing stories and tips and hanging out with their very active kids and we even got a couple new things to take with us. I got a nice camping spork, some tubes to put things like peanut butter or jelly in, a 'toaster' to put over our stove and a map of washington and Oregon. So we should be heading NW towards the Cascade mountains and we will head over to the Olympic penninsula and probably end up taking a ferry to Seattle instead of trying to bike through the mess that it's sure to be. I hope everyone is doing well and I miss you all, please come visit! We may spend a while in Austin, TX during January, so take a trip while you're off of school or just need to get out that Wisconsin winter.

1 comment: